Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Me and my husband!

Well, i figured i would start off talking about me and my husband. This crazy, funny, loving, stubborn, man that i love soooo very much!
This picture was taken this year on Feb 26, at Hotel 71 in downtown Chicago as we were celebrating our 11 year anniversary. 11 years seems like such a long time when you put it in words, but it doesn't actually feel like it's been that long at all. Except when he makes me mad, or doesn't give me my way....then it feels like eternity  ;)
My husband Rick and i  met in high school. It was my freshman year, and coming from a small catholic school to a big "public" school was a very big change for me. The first time I met Rick was in Spanish class, he came up and introduced himself,  i smiled (politely) and rolled my eyes as he walked away, totally not interested. Now, don't get me wrong, Rick was cute and definitely my "type" but I was a very quiet person and Rick being very loud and outgoing just didn't raise much interest for me. So everyday i went to class there was Rick, waiting at my desk, passing me notes, throwing paper at me and trying very hard to get my attention. Eventually that guy that i thought was annoying became the guy that i found myself spending more and more time with. So after a couple of months Rick asked me to "go out" with him, and suddenly i found   myself  falling in love.
Well, of course we had the rocky on again, off again high school romance. I loved him, i couldn't stand him, typical teen love. But we both knew that we had something special, something worth fighting for. I remember the first Christmas that Rick came to my house for Christmas dinner. This would be the first time he was meeting my family, my grandparents in particular. My grandpa was asking about his family and where he came from, the usual getting to know you questions. Well it turns out that my grandparents were Rick's grandparents maid of honor and best man! Talk about a small world, huh?!
Well after several years of dating, Rick and I came to a point in our relationship where things just weren't working for us anymore. I was a freshman in college, Rick was working full time and our lives seemed to clash rather than mesh together. And one summer evening, after a long argument, we ended our relationship, with our last words being "don't ever call me again!"
So for a whole year we didn't talk, not even once. It was pretty hard at first, but i kept myself busy with work, school and my friends. Then one day completely out of the blue, i got a page ( you know this was a long time ago, if i was carrying a pager at the time!) Anyway, i got a page that said "i miss you" and then another that said " I love you" of course i had no idea who this was since i wasn't really dating anyone serious at the time. Then a 3rd page, this time with a phone number. So i call the number, of course, and it was Rick. I remember hearing his voice and even after a whole year apart every emotion and feeling that i had for him instantly came flooding back.  We decided to start dating again, but per my request, slowly this time. I didn't want to get my heart broken again. So we began dating and soon found ourselves inseparable! And in December of 1998, in front of my whole family, Rick asked me to marry him. And without any hesitation, i said yes!
We were married on Feb 26, 2000. We got a cute little apartment, and did the normal newly-wed thing. Work, eat take out, stay in bed all day on the weekends, those were definitely good times.
After being married for a couple of years, we both decided we wanted to start our family. So on Aug 2, 2003 we welcomed our little baby girl, Marissa Alyna to the world. Marissa was our princess, or as i call her "mychica" and we spoiled her like crazy! After a couple years we decided to add to our family again, this time welcoming our first son on April 27, 20007, Ricardo Mateo, whom we call Mateo. Soon after came our little John-john, whom we named John Aiden on July 17, 2008. So, for now, our family is complete.
I can definitely say there isn't any other person in the world i would rather have shared this wonderful journey with. Rick is my best friend, someone who has seen me through the best and worst of times. We have laughed and cried together, and have tons of memories that i will never forget!
And even now after 11 years of marriage, he still makes me smile when he walks in the room. We still hold hands as we walk in the mall, or stores. We still find time to sneak a few kisses when we are out, and we still say "i love you" whenever we leave each other. And i love that we constantly show each other, usually without even realizing it, how much we still love each other!
I love you babe!
Melissa

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! Thanks for making me cry at work!!! I always tell you guys how much I love your marriage and family and life!!!! This is a great blog ... Thanks for the wonderful knowing thought that marriage is amazing , works, and can last as you want it to! So much of that has been taken away and so many traditions and it so nice to read something like this!

    ReplyDelete